Sunday, April 11, 2010

3/4 Time

Watching the footy today has inspired me to write an entry about my time working in sports medicine.  In fact the team that got beaten today was one of two teams we dealt with exclusively.  I won't say which two, but I'll tell you that both have been premiers in the last few years.  It's interesting, the difference between how some of the more senior players treat staff as compared to some of the more junior players.  I was watching one of the boys play today, and I remarked to my husband that, even though he was playing for the opposition, I was definitely a fan.  When I first met him he was in his first year of being a professional footy player.  What impressed me was that instead of acting the part that many in his position play, he was just lovely.  Every time he came in for treatment, he asked how I was, offered to help out, and always used please and thank-you.  I don't work there anymore, but I hope he retains this attitude, it's rare for big-time footy players to be so delightful.
While watching the game today, I saw another player who was a frequent visitor, but was entirely different to 'lovely boy'.  I guess it's not a surprise, most people would probably assume he's quite in love with himself, judging by his public persona.  And he was.  No acknowledgment of nursing staff, little tantrums when he had to wait for treatment, no manners...
One time, one of the staff members decided to test one of the players out.  He was one of my favourite players (from the team I barrack for, so obviously a good person!).  The staff member put a $5 note on the floor of the change room before ushering in the player, testing his honesty I guess.  Well this player came out and handed in the $5 note straight away - proving he plays for the best (most honest!) team.
I think one of the funniest times I had treating players was when I treated one who is now an ex-footy player/big media personality.  He had to come in for a series of treatments involving injections.  Unfortunately, this guy was petrified of needles!  He had me reassuring him, his manager holding him down and the doctor trying his best to do his job quickly and painlessly.  This guy was full of bravado, and was praising himself for going through with the procedure (the first in a series of 4).  He never did come back for the next 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment